VPNs for the Netherlands: 5 Paid + 5 Free providers for 2020
Although the European Court of Justice acts against data retention by ISPs, the Dutch authorities ignore it and keep on storing personal data of the customers. It makes VPN services a must-have tool in the country.
I’ve checked 70+ VPN apps to find the best ones for the Netherlands. My brand-new spiral method confirming the security and reliability of the apps.
Well, today you’ll learn:
- VPNs that cope with all tasks in the Netherlands
- Free VPN providers that can be used there
- Data about internet freedom in the country
- Legal nature of torrenting
- Reasons to subscribe to a VPN in the Netherlands
- ExpressVPN: Fast VPN with unlimited server switch and servers in 94 countries.
- NordVPN: Robust VPN with IKEv2/IPsec protocol available and AES 256-GCM ciphering
- Surfshark: One of the best VPNs that offers fast speeds and an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- CyberGhost VPN: Nice choice as it has servers in more than 89 countries and 256-bit encryption.
- Private Internet Access: An amazing VPN with a 7-day money-back guarantee and strong encryption protocols.
- ProtonVPN: Reliable VPN with the option to use its free plan without time limits.
- Windscribe: Convenient application with a free package for all users. You can switch to its paid version at any time.
- hide.me: This premium VPN provider allows using its service free of charge as long as you wish. A credit card is not required.
- Hotspot Shield: Military-grade data ciphering and reliable protection is guaranteed even with a free plan.
- TunnelBear: Although its free version restricts users in traffic, it’s really reliable and offers a lot of servers.
According to the latest research, the Internet in the country is stated to be free and unrestricted. All internet content remains open, accessible, and diverse. The country seems to be free for the press as well.
But what’s the real story?
In the Netherlands, you will be deprived of a possibility to torrent or get access to your favorite websites. In such a way, having traveled to the Netherlands, you might have troubles while trying to watch Freeform, Netflix, Hulu.
- Torrenting activity is a taboo in the Netherlands.
You will need to find a VPN with servers located in such countries as Spain, Switzerland, or Russia where torrenting has a legal status. Having connected to the internet through one of the Spain-based servers your virtual location is to be shifted to the country and you will automatically get access to all the geo-blocked torrenting engines and websites.
- Anonymity is required for safe browsing.
Besides, a reliable VPN for the Netherlands provides your network with a high level of anonymity. Even your ISP won’t know what sites you open.
Actually, torrenting has been developed just to share files in a faster and more convenient way. And this apparently cannot be illegal. The real problem comes when such conception as piracy appears on stage.
In fact, the main aim of committing piracy covers financial reasons. That is why the Netherlands government prohibited downloading pirate materials on the Internet.
Just recently, it was allowed for private home users to download video or audio files for their personal usage. Nevertheless, with these new rules, they have lost such an opportunity. But VPNs change the game.
Comparison of VPN services for the Netherlands
|Service||Ranking (out of 10)||Stealth level
(out of 10)
|Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
I don’t want to overload this article with detailed reviews of VPNs. You’ll easily find it on our site. As for now, I’d like to present to you the top 5 best VPNs for the Netherlands.
The leader of the rating is ExpressVPN with its advanced security features and fast-speed servers. Keep on reading to find more worthy VPNs.
- 3000+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 94 countries
- 7-day free trial (Android)
Thanks to ExpressVPN, it’s impossible to identify you by tracking your IP address. It’s changed into one of the VPN servers that belong to ExpressVPN. In its turn, they are diskless, which means they don’t store any information on its users.
It won’t take much time to sign up for ExpressVPN. You’ll have to follow 3 simple steps:
- Choose a plan
- Enter your email
- Select the most appropriate method of payment
The table lists the ExpressVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- 35% off for users who want to try ExpressVPN risk-free
- Very fast servers provide real security
- Apps for any devices
- It supports Netflix, BBC iPlayer, torrenting, and P2P networks
- 5100+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 59 countries
- 7-day free trial (Android, iOS)
NordVPN is a perfect solution if you look for 100% privacy and security on the Internet. Thanks to the double protection when NordVPN changes your IP twice and Onion over VPN feature, your browsing history is under reliable protection.
Besides, NordVPN is perfect for unblocking all Kodi add-ons and works perfectly to unblock streaming services.
It has 221 servers in the Netherlands so that you could use the Internet as you are at home when being abroad.
NordVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year||3 years|
- HD and 4K Netflix streaming
- Unlimited traffic for P2P
- Rapid-fire speeds + no logs
- Secure AES 256-bit ciphering
- 1700+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 63 countries
- 7-day free trial
Specially worked out Camouflage Mode by Surfshark VPN serves to prevent any leaks and hide your online activity from the ISP. It also provides its users with anonymous torrenting.
The table lists the Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- One plan for an unlimited number of simultaneous connections
- Best price-quality relationship
- Ad blocker by CleanWeb
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 6400+ servers
- 14-45-day refund
- 89 countries
- 24-hour free trial
CyberGhost has passed all tests successfully and therefore I can recommend it for the Netherlands. The servers are fast enough for streaming – buffering wasn’t observed.
It accepts payment in cryptocurrency, which makes it possible to be absolutely anonymous.
The table lists the CyberGhost VPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- Servers optimized for peering and streaming
- 7 simultaneous connections per account
- VPN servers around the world
- Strict no-logs policy
- 3200+ servers
- 30-day refund
- 48 countries
- No free trial
One more affordable VPN with advanced security features I can recommend for the Netherlands is Private Internet Access (or simply PIA).
SOCKS5 proxy and WireGuard protocol add an extra level of protection.
The table lists the PIA plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- Known as one of the most anonymous VPNs
- Support of 10 connections per account
- Available prices
Free VPNs seem to be more attractive rather than a paid one as you do not have to pay any money for it.
Warning: Using a free VPN will give you access to only a limited number of servers. At the same time, paid VPNs can suggest as many server points as you can imagine.
Thus, you can get access to such entertainment sites like Netflix or Hulu, where you can watch running TV shows and thousands of various movies.
If you are not ready to pay for a VPN in the Netherlands but need data protection, ProtonVPN free package is a good way-out.
Here’s what you need to know about ProtonVPN free plan:
- Servers in only 3 countries
- 1 allowed connection
- Medium speed
- Lack of P2P support
One more good option for the Netherlands is Windscribe. It also offers a free plan that can be used indefinitely.
What restrictions do you have to face?
- 10GB traffic per month
- The number of countries is 10
- 1 connection per account
Unlike ProtonVPN, Windscribe free package supports secure torrenting.
Hide.me isn’t a free VPN. However, it’s possible to use it without paying for as long as you like thanks to its free plan.
But be ready for some restrictions:
- No support for streaming
- Servers in 5 locations
- 10GB of monthly traffic
Real privacy is possible for $0 per month with a HotspotShield free version. But the speed is really slow. The provider doesn’t suppress it.
Be ready to the following limits:
- Daily traffic is no more than 500MB
- Only one allowed connection (in the US)
- Streaming is restricted
You know I like this app. And it should not surprise you because the app is really user-friendly and convenient.
Here’s what you should know:
- Monthly traffic is 500MB – 1.5GB
- All countries are available
👉 How can you actually use VPNs for the Netherlands?
- Thus, having established an internet connection through one of the VPN servers your true address is to be substituted with a new one.
- Besides, you will be able to shift your virtual geo-location. Therefore, having connected through a US-based server, your virtual location will be shifted to the US, which makes your network free for accessing all the geo-blocked US-based services.
- What is more, the best VPN for the Netherlands creates a secure tunneling between your connected device and a VPN server. The tunneling is designed with the use of such up-to-date protocols as PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, etc. While being routed through the tunneling all your generated traffic is to be encoded, thus made unreadable for any unauthorized readers.
❔ Can I use a free Netherlands VPN?
That’s not all …
What is more, it will be of a high use if a VPN service offers a free trial or/and a money-back guarantee. The thing is that while testing a free trial you will be able to see the tool in operation and decide whether it suits you or not. Besides, a money-back guarantee will make you protected from extra expenses, which is great for your budget and saves you from extra investments.
🥇 How to choose the best VPN for the Netherlands?
When looking for a credible VPN service you need to pay attention to the main characteristics it should possess:
- a vast variety of server locations
- strong encryption protocols
- unlimited bandwidth & speed
- a trial version or a money-back guarantee
- support of different payment methods
- 24/7 professional technical group assistance