VPN Providers to Use in Indonesia: Rating Based on Test Results
Censorship in Indonesia is some kind of headache for people. Internet service providers block access to websites and the number of such websites constantly grows.
The figures are incredible!
Access to over 800 000 sites was restricted in 2017 and 70 000 more sites were blocked in Indonesia a year after.
Thus, visiting this country might become rather stressful for some netizens.
To prevent such problems, I recommend using a VPN service for Indonesia.
And I’ll help you to pick sides. Apart from it, you’ll get to know:
- If censorship exists in Indonesia?
- What free apps are worth using?
- The reasons to use a VPN in the country
- A safe and proven method to open Reddit in Indonesia
- ExpressVPN: Perfect VPN which will help you to stay secure online in Indonesia!
- NordVPN: Amazing provider with unlimited bandwidth and speeds!
- Surfshark: A Trustworthy service which will help to unblock any site in Indonesia.
- CyberGhost VPN: Military-grade encryption of this provider will make your Internet connectivity in Indonesia anonymous and secure!
- Private Internet Access: You won’t fall victim to cyber-attacks due to its security protocols and 256-bit encryption.
- ProtonVPN: A reliable VPN tool that guarantees privacy and security while surfing the Internet.
- Windscribe: It serves to make your online surfing anonymous and your browsing history hidden from the prying eyes.
- hide.me: A VPN with advanced security features can be used free of charge without time limits.
- Hotspot Shield: The app can be installed on any platform making it 100% protected.
- TunnelBear: A user-friendly app with easy navigation and lots of servers.
Recommendation: All the apps mentioned in the rating are available on the territory of Indonesia. Study its characteristics to choose the best one for your needs. Remember that free VPNs restrict their users in features.
The current situation in Indonesia
If we speak about Indonesia, Internet censorship here has been greatly upgraded in the last few years. Since 2014, the authorities try to punish online defamation and struggle with fake news.
As a result, all websites that the government has considered negative have been blocked. This includes news portals, some blogging platforms, video streaming platforms, and other sites.
But not only social content has been prohibited. According to the report of OONI and the Sinar Project, 161 political sites, focused on criticism of the authorities, were subjected to blocking.
Besides, about 300 social media accounts have been restricted because of “hate speech”. It was done to prevent hostile expressions against the president and the national police chief.
Websites that contained the information about the independent movement in West Papua were also blocked several times by a ministry institution.
To top it all off, legal amendments strengthened the government’s power to censor content.
But the truth is while they are trying to keep their people safe from fake news, hoaxes, defamation, and depravity they are restricting them because internet users no longer have freedom and businesses suffer as a result of the offcut from other organizations, content, and companies.
However, despite the current situation on the Internet, connectivity in Indonesia remains highly concentrated, especially in the western part of the archipelago. It is also encouraging that a huge amount of users has access to the Internet through mobile phones.
Moreover, there is a developing blogosphere in Indonesia. More and more applications and platforms appear on the market due to the rapid increase of a tech-savvy urban middle class.
All these give a good chance for residents to gain complete internet freedom by using the help of five of the best VPN services in Indonesia.
Comparison of VPN services for Indonesia
(out of 10)
(out of 10)
|Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
So what’s the best VPN for Indonesia?
A reliable VPN app for Indonesia should have a big server park with fast servers, affordable packages, AES-256 encryption, and other security features.
All these characteristics are combined in ExpressVPN – the #1 VPN provider for Indonesia.
- Diskless servers
- The BVI jurisdiction
- 160 locations
- Support of all platforms
The kill switch function has also shown good results – my connection stayed safe even when I had to switch between mobile internet and WiFi hotspots.
ExpressVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- 6 devices per account
- More than 5000 servers
- 30-day refund
I’ve tried its pro-level apps on all devices I’ve brought along to my trip to Indonesia: iPhone, iPad, and Windows laptop. On all of them, it showed steady operation and quick connect.
Besides, I like the speed. I could hardly notice that I use a VPN – so fast my internet speed was.
NordVPN plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year||3 year|
- Low cost
- Compatibility with all OSs
- No limits for the connected devices
- Kill switch
When talking about Surfshark, I’d like to point out its Camouflage mode which provides 100% privacy and security for users. But remember that it makes speed slower.
So if you are going to unblock torrent sites or stream popular services, you’ll have to think about other servers offered by Surfshark.
Surfshark plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- 15 years in the market
- Servers in 90+ countries
- 7 connections at a time
- Fast speeds
The peculiar feature of CyberGhost VPN is the division of servers on categories: torrenting, streaming, NoSpy. Thus, you are to open the necessary category and choose the most appropriate server.
Besides, the system helps to find the fastest server for your location. It’s very convenient as you won’t have to spend time finding a server with good speed.
CyberGhost VPN plans and prices
|1 month||1 year||2 year||3 year|
- 10 simultaneous connections
- No speed or bandwidth limits
- No-logs policy
- 24/7 support
If you want to be safe and anonymous online, PIA VPN is for you. You can pay for the service with cryptocurrency for 100% anonymity.
It copes with the task to unblock websites and services in Indonesia, but some troubles with streaming services are possible there.
PIA plans and prices
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
Free VPN apps for Indonesia
There’s an alternative to paid VPNs – their free plans. I don’t recommend using 100% free VPN apps because of too many restrictions. Besides, they tend to use show ads. Otherwise, they wouldn’t exist.
Warning: Free VPNs as well as free packages of paid services have serious limits in speed, bandwidth, servers, etc.
I have a chance to make use of the premium service of ProtonVPN without paying for it for as long as you like. But be ready to have access to servers in only 3 countries.
Another worthwhile tool to unblock restricted content in Indonesia is Windscribe VPN. You won’t have to pay for its free package. But in this case, you can use it until your monthly traffic is no more than 10GB.
10GB of monthly traffic and servers in 5 locations are available for free thanks to a free plan offered by Hide.me.
Make your web surfing unrestricted with a free plan by HotspotShield. Among the restrictions you’ll find 500MB traffic daily and 2Mbps speed maximum.
TunnelBear is a good solution if your monthly traffic is 1.5GB maximum. It has not bad speed on all servers.
If you are not from Indonesia, you might not know that the state of internet censorship in Indonesia can be described as positive. In general, the situation leaves much to be desired. It is marked by significant media freedom violations.
There are still cases of arresting foreign journalists and local fixers. Another threat to secure online activity in Indonesia is radical religious groups. It doesn`t seem so surprising now that the government follows a pretty strict policy that is connected with various aspects of internet censorship and privacy.
For this reason, a lot of websites are blocked for Indonesian users, and accessing them is possible only via VPN in Indonesia. According to the research of 2017, most of the blocked sites in Indonesia are gambling websites forums and also apps serving the LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex) community.
Besides, the websites which provide information about anonymity tools, including some VPN websites are not available.
VPN is one of the most reliable ways to protect your sensitive data against the government. It is a robust technology that extends LAN over the Internet.
A VPN allows a network to be connected securely as if they are physically wired together. There is a huge amount of VPN providers on the market either free or paid.
Though free VPN servers are considered as not so reliable as paid ones. There are also VPN providers that suggest free trial for 30 days. Moreover, it is no problem to get a VPN to any operating system. You can install the best VPNs for your Windows laptop, macOS gadgets, or Android.
Now, you understand that the number one reason why to use VPN in Indonesia is unblocking the websites blocked because of local internet censorship policy. Using a VPN server in Indonesia is crucial. A good VPN will protect our security. Besides, it will considerably increase your online protection on the Internet.
Moreover, you can’t ignore the fact that you might be monitored by Indonesian authorities when you are online. VPN services for Indonesia will make you private from their prying eyes.
Reddit is one of the blocked forums in Indonesia that’s why you will need a VPN if you want to open it in Indonesia.
We hope that you have already selected the best VPN service for Indonesia. Now, you will know how to open Reddit with a VPN for Indonesia.
5 really effective steps to open Reddit with VPN you need to know in 2020:
- Select a VPN for Indonesia (it shouldn’t be blocked in Indonesia) and purchase the VPN subscription for any period you want.
- After you obtain a VPN for Indonesia subscription, you need to download the VPN app, which is usually can be found on their website.
- The next step to open Reddit will be installing the VPN app on your gadget. Be sure you have downloaded the app that is compatible with your operating system.
- If the VPN app is installed and ready for use, you need to turn your VPN on and alter your geo-location. Choose the server location, not Indonesia, hide your true IP address.
- Now you are ready to visit Reddit and get access to any subreddit you’d like to participate in.
Some resources are restricted there. Luckily, a large number of people have the possibility to get access to the Internet. It means they can use a VPN to make their online activity private and secure.
📃 Why using a VPN in Indonesia is so important?
- The first and foremost reason is, of course, censorship. The government blocks all websites that "cause confusion". "Incorrect" thoughts, news, people, and so on are banned. Using a VPN you can easily connect to a server situated in a country where there is no such restriction.
- Don`t forget that some social networks, which are so loved and adored, are also blocked in Indonesia. But VPN will allow you to communicate with your relatives and friends without any limits.
- Taking into account that about 50% of people in Indonesia get access to the Internet through their mobile phones, the use of a VPN on your device will protect you against unreliable public Wi-Fi. Since a risk to become a victim of online scammers is great.
- A reliable VPN will hide your IP not only from the government but also from hackers. It also encrypts your personal data thereby ensuring your anonymity on the Internet.
- Protection against malicious software and obtrusive advertising is also one of the reasons for using a VPN.
As we can see the situation in Indonesia is far from being favorable. The restriction of Internet access is a serious problem there. Thus using a VPN in Indonesia is crucial. A reliable VPN provider will ensure you with anonymity, security, and privacy. Moreover, it will not only contribute to safe online activity but also make your entertainment truly exciting and fascinating.
The only thing left to do is to ensure our privacy by installing a VPN.