Best VPN providers for Kuwait: 5 Paid + 5 Free
Censorship in Kuwait is increasing year by year. Websites that highlight politics, social issues, security, and internet tools undergo selective or pervasive filtering.
VPN services in 2020 solve this problem efficiently in Kuwait. They serve to substitute your IP with the IP address of a country where the site or service is not banned. Thus, you can easily access it.
Stay on this page you and you’ll learn how to do it and:
- Everything about Internet restrictions in Kuwait
- Best VPN apps for Kuwait
- Free VPNs you can use here
- Answers to the most frequently asked questions
- ExpressVPN: The protection against DNS leaks and DDoS attacks is guaranteed when you are an ExpressVPN subscriber.
- NordVPN: Websites that were blocked by the Ministry of Information in Kuwait will be unblocked by NordVPN.
- Surfshark: Attractive pricing system is not the only plus point of this provider. Try it, and you will know how free the Internet in Kuwait can be.
- CyberGhost VPN: You will forget about monitoring and snooping thanks to CyberGhost VPN. It encodes all the traffic including visited pages and loaded files.
- PIA: It is faster than the proxy and more reliable than Tor. With PIA web browsing will not be boring anymore.
- ProtonVPN: A premium service with a free VPN package you can use without time limits.
- Windscribe: A free plan by Windscribe is a reliable tool to unblock websites in Kuwait and be anonymous.
- Hide.me: A free VPN package with a 10GB monthly traffic limit and access to the servers in 5 countries.
- HotspotShield: It’s a rather reliable service with military-grade encryption and clear no-logs policy.
- TunnelBear: Another VPN tool that can unblock many sites in Kuwait.
Internet censorship in Kuwait can be defined as pervasive due to extremely strict legislation and massive intervention into citizens’ use of the Internet. It takes the 109th position among 180 countries included in the rating made by Reporters without Borders for 2020.
Any content that seems to be against religion, traditions, or security is blocked. Even local Internet Service Providers are imposed to block a great number of blacklisted sites in Kuwait.
According to the latest estimates in the sphere of internet security, the internet in Kuwait is stated to be partly free. It means that during the research specialists have managed to find such issues as access obstacles and user rights violations.
Among the latest examples there are:
- Several bloggers have been arrested for criticizing Saudi Arabia and the monarch.
- The publishing license of the newspaper Al-Watan has been suspended by the government.
- The newly-passed cybercrime law includes restrictive measures for speaking out online.
It all makes us conclude that the Internet is far from being free in Kuwait. And a good VPN is a good way-out.
Comparison of VPN services for Kuwait
|Service||Speed, Mbps||Country selection||Number of servers||Price (monthly)|
Having studied more than 70 VPN providers, I can conclude that ExpressVPN is the leader for this country. I’ve compared the different characteristics of VPN providers and the apps they offer. Also, I’ve checked their privacy policies and carried out many speed and leak tests.
Have a look at the results below.
- Apps for all platforms
- TrustedServer technology
- Split tunneling
- Private DNS
Currently, ExpressVPN is arguably the most high-grade and trustworthy VPN service in the market. It should not surprise you because the provider offers more than 3000 fast servers located in 94 countries of the world. They serve to unblock any content.
Besides, it offers AES 256-bit ciphering to protect your online traffic.
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- It supports diverse tunneling protocols (IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN)
- 24/7 support service
- Risk-free test of the app thanks to a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Stable connection
- No-logs policy
- 6 simultaneous connections
NordVPN is a Panama-based reputable VPN provider with powerful server infrastructure to go round censorship.
NordVPN uses a double VPN to provide its subscribers with reliable data encryption, DNS leak protection, and lots of other outstanding features.
|1 month||6 month||1 year||3 years|
- It works in any country in the world
- It follows a strict no-logs policy
- A 7-day free trial
- Kill switch
- Advanced functions
- Netflix support
Surfshark is another powerful VPN provider that works perfectly well in Kuwait. It copes with the task to bypass online censorship thanks to its growing server park.
Also, it offers reliable P2P support to unblock the best torrent sites and be anonymous while downloading torrent files.
Surfshark plans prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years|
- Lowest possible price among the best VPNs
- No limits for connected devices
- Streaming support
- 90+ countries
- Servers for torrenting
- Automatic kill switch
CyberGhost VPN is a high-quality service with a good cost/quality ratio. Having a big server network with 6300 units over 90 countries, it’s possible to unblock geo-restricted content.
When connecting to the Internet through CyberGhost VPN, all your traffic is ciphered with a 256-bit code. It means all your data is under reliable protection.
CyberGhost VPN prices
|1 month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
- A biggest possible network of servers for efficient content unblocking
- Apps for Android, macOS, iOS, and Windows
- P2P support
- 10 connections per account
- Servers in 27 countries
Private Internet Access VPN is good at unblocking websites. Nevertheless, you can face troubles while trying to unblock the US Netflix library in Kuwait.
It also offers reliable ciphering, ad blocker, and good speed.
|1 month||6 months||1 year|
- A user-friendly app
- More than 2000 servers
If you are in Kuwait or going to access restricted sites from there, you’ll need a VPN service that will be much stronger and more reliable than a free one. You should be equipped with highly forceful data encryption tools, which are not provided by free VPNs.
These are top 3 why-nots for a free VPN for Kuwait:
- Weak data ciphering instruments!
- NO guarantee for users’ online privacy!
- A poor number of VPN servers to access blocked sites!
Warning: It all confirms the idea that it’s better to be well-prepared before you connect to the Internet in Kuwait. You might save a few dollars, but you will probably pay an even bigger price for being monitored by authorities.
The leader of the rating of free VPNs is ProtonVPN. It’s a premium quality VPN provider with a free plan without speed, bandwidth, or traffic limits.
Windscribe supports P2P file-sharing and provides 10GB of traffic per month. Also, it offers military-grade data ciphering and ad-blocker.
Access to the restricted content in Kuwait is possible with a free Hide.me plan. But in this case, monthly traffic is limited to 10GB.
HotspotShield offers 15GB of traffic per month for reliable streaming and unrestricted web surfing. The free version is not the best solution to unblock Netflix.
TunnelBear free package includes servers in 23 countries, AES-256 encryption, and 500MB traffic per month.
📖 What is the list of websites blocked in Kuwait?
It is not a secret that when browsing with a Kuwaiti IP, a user can face the limits of Kuwait internet laws. According to the local Ministry of Information, there are websites and services banned for the residents of the country – 158 units.
The websites containing the materials about the following topics undergo blocking:
- Tobacco, alcohol, and drugs
- Political and religious views advocacy
- Weapons of mass destruction
- Violation of legislation, public rules, and orders
- Terrorist organizations, etc.
🔓 How to open blocked websites in Kuwait?
Here are three ways to unblock blacklisted websites in Kuwait.
Here’s the deal:
#1 Kuwait proxy servers
Being in Kuwait, one has an opportunity to make use of proxy servers to access websites blocked in Kuwait. However, a user may not like this variant because of its weak points:
⇒ the protocols used by proxy servers (SOCKS, HTTP) do NOT cipher users’ traffic;
⇒ manual configuration for each IP is required;
⇒ is not ideal in terms of censorship bypassing.
#2 The Onion Router
The Onion Router (Tor in short) is used to provide confidentiality while browsing the Internet. The greatest advantage of this technology is accounted for by IP masking. At the same time there are some Tor features you are to know before starting using it:
⇒ in case the targeted website doesn’t use the SSL protocol, IP leak is possible;
⇒ delays of internet connection are significant;
⇒ as the system was worked out by the YS Navy, the Tor user may be an illegal activity suspect.
#3 Kuwait VPN servers
VPN services are more reliable and trustworthy than the above mentioned technologies. Virtual Private Networks serve to create a protected connection between a user’s device and the targeted website. Besides, VPN changes user’s IPs into the IP of the least censored countries making it possible to access the desired services and websites.
⇒ VPN’s price is the only minus.
❔ How to unblock Netflix in Kuwait with the best VPN?
As it was mentioned earlier, one may unblock access to many websites unavailable in Kuwait owing to some obvious reasons (You have already known them). Here is a short how-to guide for unblocking Netflix in Kuwait.
- The first thing you need is obtaining a subscription for one of the best VPNs for Kuwait (The rating is posted above this section).
- Then, download a VPN app on your device (Most VPN providers develop special apps, which can be easily downloaded from their website).
- In case a VPN app is not provided for your platform, you will have to configure a VPN connection in a manual way. It may take some time, but don’t be afraid! It is not as difficult as you might think. There are usually step-by-step guides on VPNs’ sites.
- When the app is installed, you are ready to connect to the network through a VPN.
- Choose any US server from the list to access Netflix and get connected.
- You are able now to access Netflix from Kuwait.
The number of Netflix users increased significantly in the year 2017 and reached a number of 117.6 million people.
Having subscribed for one of the VPN services, it will not be a problem for any Kuwait resident to access Netflix by connecting to one of the US-based VPN servers.