Best VPN for Oman: Proven Providers in 2020
Freedom throughout the world is a current issue nowadays. While residents of certain countries enjoy democracy, fair elections and freedom of speech, others suffer from a strict political regime and a high level of censorship.
- ExpressVPN: 5 VPN protocols to configure secure connections in Oman!
- NordVPN: great VPN app with in-built kill switch, available for 6 devices and 62 countries.
- Surfshark: OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec protocols for secure browsing in Oman.
- CyberGhost VPN: IP and DNS leak protection is a must-have for Oman!
- Private Internet Access: robust protocols for encrypted Wi-Fi in Oman!
Unfortunately, Oman falls into the second category of countries. The Internet in this country is far from being free, so it's crucial to take some measures for online safety if you're going to visit this country.
If you live in Oman, ask yourself: "What's my IP?". We think, you have to change it to gain safety while surfing the Internet in your country. VPN for Oman is a perfect way to do this. Why? We're going to cover this topic.
Do you find the issue captivating? If so, read the further information and you'll learn about:
- Censorship in Oman
- Internet freedom in Oman
- Social media in Oman: is it safe to use it?
- VOIP services in Oman: are they blocked?
- Best VPNs for Oman: are they legal?
- Why use a VPN in Oman?
- Free VPN for Oman: is it worth using?
According to Freedom House, Oman is not a free country in terms of the degree of political rights and civil liberties. Freedom of expression in Oman is limited. The authorities of the country supervise people's actions and communication. There're a huge number of arrests and interrogatories because of political considerations.
That's not all
As stated in Reporters Without Borders, Oman occupies the 127th position in world press freedom index. The government monitors critical news and commentaries to social media. Journalists' privacy is put at risk in the country, reporters are sued for "inappropriate" content.
A well-known writer Abdullah Habib had been sentenced to prison for certain Facebook posts related to political issues in 2016. He had been accused of spreading hatred and blasphemy.
Websites that contain anti-Islam information, gambling, pornography and illegal drugs are blocked. People are monitored by the government and not allowed to write an offensive word to the authorities. Any criticism of the sultan is prohibited in Oman
Well-known social media like Youtube or Twitter are not blocked in the country. Facebook is the most popular social media among residents of Oman. However, bearing in mind all information, which is mentioned above, you can imagine how unsafe to be active on social networks in this country.
The answer is positive. Such VOIP services as Google Talk, Viber and Skype were blocked in 2007. They were restricted by TRA, which claimed that such messengers don't have a license. Nobody knows if it is true. In fact, you need the best VPN for Skype or other messengers in Oman to keep in touch with your loved ones.
Using a VPN is a perfect way to access any blocked website in Oman. The authorities of Oman try to ban them, they don't want people to connect to the prohibited websites. It is not in their best interests. In spite of these facts, it's not illegal to use VPNs in Oman. Residents of the country, who want to keep in touch with whole content, frequently use VPN providers in this country.
Let's see what are the main reasons for using a VPN in Oman.
- Of course, the main aim of Omanis or tourists is to unblock prohibited websites. Actually, we live in the 21st century and the very fact that some information is so carefully protected resents many Internet users.
- Many tourists want to choose a VPN for WhatsApp in Oman. It is not a surprise, unblocking VOIP messengers is crucial while travelling. We all want to keep in touch with our families and friends while being far away from home. If you don't know how to unblock Skype in Oman, you can easily do it with the help of a secure VPN.
- Do you want to express your opinion without fear of being caught by the Oman government or an ISP? We think that freedom of speech is a human basic right. A reliable VPN will help you to feel free while communicating through social media.
- A VPN is good for a safe connection to public Wi-Fi spots. While travelling to Oman you may want to protect your device against viruses or malicious software. It matters because some Wi-Fi spots are not secure.
- A reliable VPN will encrypt your data, making it invisible for an ISP or the Oman authorities. A lot of modern VPNs use 256-bit encryption for protecting your data. Such type of encryption is extremely robust.
We've found perfect VPN providers which are available in Oman. You can find them in the next section. We just want to draw your attention that they are paid. We don't recommend you to use a free VPN in Oman because it's risky. It's impossible to know for sure if free VPN providers trustworthy and safe. Some of them cat ant in their own interests.
Unfortunately, there're some countries where authorities adhere to extremely strict politics. Oman is a country of this kind for sure.
The government there is afraid of losing its power. In order to retain it, the authorities are willing to limit the freedom of Omanis: block pornographic websites, VOIP messengers and sentence people to prison.
Luckily, there is a way out.
We aimed to raise your concern about safety through this article. We wish you a safe internet connection! If you have any further information, don't hesitate to leave your comments below. Good luck!